A historical journey through Bermonsey's brewing historyBermondsey is seeing a huge revival as a major brewing area of London. However this part of the city has a big historical past when it comes to brewing beer. The hop trade was a significant part of Southwark's commercial past until the early 1970s. Innumerable offices and warehouses of hop factors and hop merchants once existed in the Borough High Street and adjoining streets.
Take a walking tour of the area with your guide who will inform you about the history of the area including many important buildings such as the old Hop Exchange building where the hops were brought into London from the Kent countryside. Then, it's onto Southwark Brewery (founded in 2014) for a visit around one of the breweries helping to revive the area's brewing past for a very special tour and some delightful tastings.
- A historical walking tour of Bermondsey and significant buildings in the area related to the hop trade and brewing
- A tour of the brewing equipment at Southwark Brewery along with a talk about the brewing process
- A Q&A session with brewery staff
- Tastings of three 1/3rd pints
- A take-home bottle of beer
- An opportunity to stay for the rest of the evening and enjoy the other beers on offer at the bar
Over 18s only. Valid ID may be required. Please arrive on time or the tour may leave without you.