A heart-wrenching musical based on the life of a legendary composer
- New musical by three-time Tony Award-nominee Dave Malloy
- Based on the life of Sergei Rachmaninoff
- Exclusive Time Out price
Find out more:
Best known for his Broadway hit ‘Natasha Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812’, which landed a whopping 12 Tony Award nominations, Dave Malloy is now showcasing his latest work in London.
Premiering at Southwark Playhouse, ‘Preludes’ is about the true story of renowned composer Sergei Rachmaninoff. Rising to world-wide fame from a single composition by the age of 19, commissioned to write his first symphony at 20 and engaged to the love of his life, Natalya by 21 – but Rachmaninoff then fell ill with anxiety and depressive paranoia, unable to write a single note.
Tracing his sessions of hypnotherapy, this new show explores how dramatic and musical processes can be used as therapy to cure mental illness. Using live piano and electronics, Malloy uses a hybrid of his own and Rachmaninoff’s compositions to create a dream-like world that lets us into Rachmaninoff’s mind.
Need to know:
- This is valid for one ticket to ‘Preludes’ at Southwark Playhouse.
- Please present your voucher at the box office on arrival.
- This booking is only valid for your selected option.
- Tickets are allocated by the box office and not by Time Out.
- Customers purchasing multiple tickets in the same transaction under the same name will be sat together.
- This booking cannot be cancelled, refunded, exchanged or used in conjunction with any other offer.