A new record label launches with international sounds and musicians playing liveThis is the launch of Funkiwala Records, not just a compilation of musicians, more of a movement of multi-cultural music that could only have found its home in a place like London.
Expect a packed night of music – partying through till 1am – with some of the best and most distinguished bands and musicians from London's afro-Cuban, afro-jazz and Cuban funk music scenes, as well as a few other genres they found on their travels around the world.
For the launch there’ll be six bands playing some of the world’s finest multi-cultural collaborations, including:
- Javier Camilo: one of the UK’s leading Cuban singers and multi-instrumentalists
- Motimba featuring Rob Li: with their new Cuban-funk single “Nobody’s Business”,
- CubAfrobeat featuring Dele Sosimi: a collaboration exploring musical connections between Cuba and Nigeria
Also playing and releasing albums are:
- Justin Thurger (formerly of Bellowhead): and his afro-jazz sextet with a new album release
- LoKkhi Terra: afrobeat-Cuban-Bangladeshi group with “BanglaRasta”
- Sambroso Orchestra: the first release by Oreste Sambroso Noda bringing together London’s finest cuban musicians
The event aims to promote cultural expression through a series of short sets demonstrating the flavours of this musical culture, allowing members of the audience to walk around between sets, get a drink, have a chat at the Funkiwala stand and wander around the accompanying art exhibition. If you love world music or want to get into this incredible set of genres, you've found the exact right kind of party.
Over 16s only. 16 and 17 year olds must be accompanied by a responsible adult. Valid ID required.