What did the romans ever do for us?Following the success of their "Unconventional Dinner", Barrel And Forks are back with a gladiator's dinner, in proper roman style. The roman banquet is a multisensorial dining experience in a secret location, during which you will be transported to one of the lavish and sophisticated dinners the ancient romans used to throw in their villas. These notorious banquets would go on until dawn with guests pigging out on the empire's finest offerings and drinking their hearts out. During dinner, guests, musicians, acrobats, poets and dancers would perform with dinner conversation playing a central role.
The dinner was consumed in a special dining room, which later was to be called triclinium. Here one would lie down on a specially designed couch, the lectus triclinaris. The presence of a lot of food and wine celebrating the abundance in life, carried a message about the end of life and imminent death which was often a theme represented in mosaics and urns.
- Welcome cocktail: mulsum (spiced wine with honey)
- Hipotrimma Utiaquae: cheese with herbs and nettles
- Olivae Nigrae: black olives
- Ova Elixa Nucibusque Pineis: boiled eggs with a pinenuts and honey dip
- Gustum Armeniacorum: apricot based starter
- Epityrum Olivarum: olive tapenade
- Sorbitio Legionari: legionario soup
- Porcellum Caesarianum: roast pork in a wine sauce
- Lus Mali: apple chutney
- Pisa Cum Porros: peas and leeks
- Dulcia Celticus: fruit and cheese crumble
- Wine, prosecco and other drinks available at the cash bar.
Over 18s only. Valid ID required.