A macabre night of cabaret, circus and cinema in a Masonic TempleOn the site of the old Bedlam hospital rose a Masonic tabernacle, home to arcane rituals. Fallen into disuse, the Grecian Masonic Temple at Liverpool Street lay forgotten. This summer, A Curious Invitation and the East End Film Festival return to the City’s only original Freemasons’ lodge for a macabre night of cabaret, circus and cinema.
The night will begin with a special screening of Alejandro Jodorowsky's avant-garde horror film Santa Sangre, where a young circus performer who shuns the mental asylum in a macabre reunion with his arm-less mother.
After that, explore the labyrinthine rooms of this devilish palace, each one brimming with debauched delights. Familiarise yourself with these dark artists below.
The Hall Of The Grand Artificer:
- Heavy Metal Pete: sword swallower and pyromaniac – never a stranger to danger
- Coco Deville: a mercurial minx, a teasing tiger and a playful neo-burlesque superstar.
- Nathan + Isis: an acrobatic duo who stretch balance, poise, and trust to their limits
The Crystal Chamber:
- The high-flying, death-defying artistes of the Chivaree Circus will fill the glass atrium
- Becky + Tyrone: denizens of the air will hold audiences and each other in suspense
- Tim Maynard's magnificent menagerie of snakes, lizards and insects will lurk below
The Lost Word Cabinet:
- Disreputable and aberrant linchpin of the evening Benjamin Louche will introduce:
- Marnie Scarlett: the deviant diva will writhe in her latest creation – a strait jacket
- Lolo Brow: a neo-burlesque artist, sparkly drag king and lizard lady
- Snake Fervour: sword swallowing, snake charming – there's nothing he can't do
- Cynth Icorn: a perverted heavy rubber model and fetish performer
- Bishi: the Anglo-Indian singer, pianist and sitarist will take to the decks to mix Eastern and Western avant-garde sounds
The Dark Arts Drawing Room:
- Art Macabre: will delve into the veiled history of the Tarot
Over 18s only. Valid ID required.